7/05/2005

Friendly's and Capitalism

Friendly's is quite a popular place in my town which attracts many customers every weakend (and attracts a lot of tips for my waiters and wattresses friends). A while ago, Friendly's has increased its price on many items. While more and more customers notice the change, the time per customer increases. "why is the price like this?" "the icecream used be $1.50. why is it $2.00 now?" I have to explain the new price from time to time. Some customers are okay with the change; some customers aren't, and they yell and demand to talk to the manager. Sometimes, I really don't know what to say. I don't control the price, the corporate heads do.

While the price increased, I have imagined to have a bigger paycheck (I only make $6.10 an hr). Well, i am wrong. My playcheck is a bit bigger, not because my wage increased but because I work more during summer. I have always thought that my wage is unfair. and now, with the increased price for basically every food in the restaurant, I am enraged.

Corporates never think about the welfare of their customers and workers. While i make a pretty low pay, many make pretty low pay too. A chef who has been working at friendly's for 4 years gets paid $7.60 an hour. They make all the profit while the workers suffer

Corportates also do not think about the welfare of their customers. friendly's (at least the one i work in ) is extreme dirty. when i walk into the store, I can instantly smell a strong fragance. Then when I walk to the kitchen and the storage room, There are flies everywhere. The washing machines does not clean the glasses well so I have to have them re-washed again. The floor is greasy. If one is not careful enough one will slide as if he is skiting. My friend one time got the food that was already served to another customer (according to my friend, that customer touched it already). He complained, with no result.

Last but not least, the corporates increase price arbituarily. A banana split costs more than 6 dollars. A dip of ice-cream costs more than 2 dollars. While much of the food is dirty, it costs more than 8 dollars a meal.....Think about it, do you want to pay?

As a worker, I try to do my best to keep the ice-cream I make clean, but i can't guarantee it is the same case for everyone. Also, I sometimes think that why I have to keep it clean since I am paid lowly anyway. But then, they are just glimpses of thoughts. I never intentionally make the ice-cream dirty. I hate the corporates for charging people unfair price; i hate the corporates for taking advantage of the workers; and I hate the corporates for not caring the customers. It does not have to be that way. Business can be brutal, but it can also be gentle, espeically when it is food industry.

P.S. To make more money, I put a tip cap by the front window. and yesterday, on 7/4, I made about 5 dollars. It is pretty pathetic, but I am a lowly paid worker.

3 Comments:

At 10:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Start a Union. You have the skills and the know how to do it. Start a Union and fight for what you know is right.

 
At 11:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember your economics. You have to make it to their benefit to do the right thing, and then they will.

Ah, the differences between theory and practice. Too bad real life can't more like the theory.

 
At 6:37 PM , Blogger Edward W. Prather said...

Friendlies, like every other business is looking at the bottom line and what is can do to increase that bottom line.

People, including you it'd seem, expound upon your hatred of corporations while probably wearing shoes, pants / jeans, and shirts all created by them. Of course you decided to work at one as well.

One line I find puzzling is, "Corportates also do not think about the welfare of their customers" and then you go and list all the things EMPLOYEES are not doing - keeping the place as sanitary as possible for example. No one from the boardroom cleans the icecream maker, but people like you do. Why blame the corporates for it? I guess they are a handy scapegoat.

Just as you decided to work there, people decide to eat there, too.

"A banana split costs more than 6 dollars. A dip of ice-cream costs more than 2 dollars. While much of the food is dirty, it costs more than 8 dollars a meal.....Think about it, do you want to pay?"

If people were not willing to pay, they'd probably either go elsewhere (cheaper) or simply not buy the product at all - thus the consumer is not really 'wronged' at all.

I can appreciate the heart-felt candor on the subject, but the idea that Friendly's or corporations owe the world something doesn't fit.

"I hate the corporates for charging people unfair price; i hate the corporates for taking advantage of the workers; and I hate the corporates for not caring the customers"

1) Don't eat there
2) Don't work there
3) Still don't eat there

"It does not have to be that way. Business can be brutal, but it can also be gentle, espeically when it is food industry."

Where do you see the 'gentle' model working in a highly competative market? And what defines the gentle model?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home