5/04/2005

AP AP AP

AP Exams finally hit students across the nation this week. I am taking 5 this years personally. AP Exams are challenging because they cover a year's material in a matter of three hours, but my counselor, who was also a proctor for my AP Statistics Exam, said one of the most insightful things I have ever heard.

He asked me if the test was hard after I took it, I said, "It was ok." He said, "What am I asking you here? Of course Statistics is hard. but it is the teacher who makes it easier for students." I agree with him totally. Without good teachers, I probably would not have felt well after taking AP Calc yesterday and Statistics today. However, there are really not a lot of good teachers out there anymore.

When I tried to find out what causes the drastic quality of teachers, I found out that the problem is too big. Today, i will try superficially to look at one cause, pay.

The government is not willing to increase pay for teachers relative to what the market suggests. Therefore, no one, espcially the college students majoring in science and math, does not want to teach. The good ones are going to be engineers, doctors, etc. Those who major in English and Social Study will be lawyers. Therefore, only those who are underqualified want to be teachers since they are content with the pay.

However, I do not think that the teachers should organize themselves to bargain for more pay. (i am talking about unions) Union will distract the teachers from their goals, teaching. Union does nothing except for wasting money and time.

I just realize that my thought is not organized well today. Well, I had been in school from 7 to 4, and I took an AP test.... anyway. I shall continue my argument someday. yes someday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home