3/27/2005

The meaning of life

On 07/08/1987 around 10 P.M., I cried for the first time in my life. On that day, I was born. Almost 18 years later, I become a healthy, semi-intelligent young person. Before long, I will go to college, the first one in my family to do so. As I enter a new stage of life, I have a question to myself: Why am I here, and what is the meaning of my being here?

Since I was very young, I had such questions. Before I could answer it myself, I had my responsbilities. Going to school, learning a lot, and last but notleast, succeeding in school. I was a mediocre student, and not only did I get some scolding every time i got my report card, I felt guilt because I didn't do well. During summer break, school and my dad gave me summer work (yuck). Therefore, my childhood life is dominated, or preoccupied, by my education

Soon, i moved to America. With a bit of work, I had some academic successes. However, I wasn't marginally happier. I found myself still pursuring.

Later, I realized that I have been pursuing happiness. When I studied in my childhood, I was trying to gain acceptance from my parents, mainly my dad, because I believed that his acceptance would translate to my happiness. However, my dad is never happy with my grades. Therefore, I changed what happiness for me means, I studied for the past 4 years in america because i wanted to go to a good college.

Now, my high school study comes to a close, and I seem to understand what meaning of life is, to pursue happiness. Now, what i have to do is to define what happiness for me is, again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home